The Road to Your New Home is Closer Than You Think
If you are going to build a new home in the spring, the time to start planning is now.
Here are ten tips to help with your journey:
- If you will need to finance your new home, get a pre-qualified mortgage. Contact your lender now to begin the process.
- Find a reputable builder. Builders are busy in the spring. Hire one now and you'll be on the front of his or her list.
- Select your location. You've heard it before, location, location, location. Make sure you and close enough to the amenities you require; things like transportation, shopping and schools.
- Watch your budget. Making small changes can cost big money. Keeping an eye on the bottom line is important. Make wise choices on where to spend more and where to economize.
- Build with resale in mind. No matter how much you love the house you are building, it is unlikely that it will be the last home you live in.
- Have a clear understanding of the timeline. Building a new home usually takes many months. There is a lot to coordinate in a short time; if you are a current home owner, you will need time to sell you existing home, too.
- Be prepared for delays. Bad weather, supply shortages or illness can all play a part in you building cycle. Be prepared to be flexible.
- Keep a close watch on the progress of your new home. One way to avoid delays and misunderstandings from happening is to stay involved in the building process.
- Avoid making changes. Changes mean delays and may add considerably to the final cost.
- Arrange temporary housing. There may be a delay between the time you sell your home and the time you move into your new home.