Wiring with Enercept SIPs
You've got the plan. You've personalized your design. Your land is purchased, and your financing is in place. Now, it's time to build your dream home.
After learning the many benefits of enclosing your home with Stuctural Insulated Panels, or SIPs, and getting all your subs on board, you electrician may have some questions about wiring with SIPs construction. Here are five tips for wiring with SIPs to get them started:
Wiring with SIPs is a little different
1. Wiring with SIPs is a little different from wiring standard wood frame structures. By reviewing installation concepts, basic wiring designs and some pre-planning, you will find that the job can be completed easily. Enercept provides a wiring or electrical guide that will help you through the process.
2. Just as you plan door openings and window placements, you must also plan the locations of electrical openings where Enercept panels are installed. Enercept typically provides a 1 1/4 inch Horizontal Chase 16 inches from the bottom in wall panels, 44-inch Chases are provided in kitchen, utility rooms and bathrooms where countertops would be located. Vertical Chases from the bottom of the panel to the 16-inch Chase are provided in 4' wide panels and below window openings. A 1 1/4 inch Vertical Chase is typically provided in each panel adjacent to door and window openings. A floor plan should be obtained which contains actual dimensions of all wall, window, and door swing locations. The electrician must mark on this plan where they will need non-standard chases or larger chases to accommodate multiple wires along with the N.E.C. required receptacles, switches, light fixtures, etc.
Do not cut across the panel face/skin for wiring chases
3. The wiring chases installed by Enercept are for electrical wiring installation only. They are not for the plumber or the H.A.V.C. contractor. We mark on the interior side of the panel with blue permanent the locations of the pre-installed chases. Single gang electrical box knowckouts are cut into all 4' wide panels and lower window panels for access from the floor systems. The electrician may choose to use thes cutouts or cut in their own where they need them.
Ceiling fixture locations must be noted on the electrical drawings
4. Enercept SIP Roof/Ceiling panels may have factory installed 12-3 Type NM-B cable in place for ceiling wiring. When installing these pre-wired roof panels, the builder or electrician must route the wiring from the roof panel into the appropriate vertical wire chase in the wall panels leading to switches, electrical termination or sources. If your roof panels are not pre-wired, you first install the wiring, then set the panels in place. Remember the roof panels are insulated with foam, DO NOT USE RECESSED LIGHT FIXTURES IN EPS CORE PANELS. All Enercept roof panels with factory installed wiring will have a 2 1/4" x 9 1/2" backer board in place for each for each ceiling fixture. Additional support/engineering may be needed for fixtures more than 90 pounds.
Call with any questions, and CALL BEFORE YOU CUT.
5. CALL BEFORE YOU CUT! We're saving the best for last. Enercept has excellent customer service! If you have any questions or concerns, please call us at 605-882-2222.